Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 01:48:57 pm

Author Topic: Re: The Difference between Broussard and Collins  (Read 3373 times)

mboehning

• View Profile
Re: The Difference between Broussard and Collins
« on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:57 am »
I have a problem with those who would say that if Chris Broussard should not have a forum to express his opinions, then Jason Collins should also be limited. This implies that both sides of the story are being told fairly and equally. Collins' coming out is newsworthy because it is novel and provocative. More importantly, though, it is important to give air time to gay athletes when they are the ones subject to prejudice and animus. It's not controversial for an athlete to pronounce his/her heterosexuality; it's simply assumed that male athletes are straight. Collins' story is important specifically because of the battle over gay rights in America. As the general population becomes more aware of the fact that gay men and women are equal to and as capable as heterosexuals in all walks of life, including athletics, the arguments against gay marriage bans, against gay adoption, etc... all tend to fall to pieces. If we eliminate forums for gay athletes to openly announce their sexual orientation by saying that sexual issues should stay out of the locker room, we are encouraging the status quo to continue. Gay athletes require a greater media presence in order to garner fair treatment and equal recognition.

Sponsored Link
Guests: Sign up to hide banners

Supremecy

• Mohrrior
  • Black Holes and Revelations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:09:17 pm »
Gay athletes require a greater media presence in order to garner fair treatment and equal recognition.

That's hypocritical and absurd.

I dont want to hear about ANYONE'S sexual proclivities.

mboehning

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:19:32 pm »
What you're suggesting amounts to sticking your fingers in your ears and saying, "La la la la la la." Greater media access for gay athletes helps to secure equal treatment in the rest of life, not in sports media.

Supremecy

• Mohrrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 12:24:56 pm »
What you're suggesting amounts to sticking your fingers in your ears and saying, "La la la la la la." Greater media access for gay athletes helps to secure equal treatment in the rest of life, not in sports media.

So, like 'affirmative action' in the workplace?

:lol

mboehning

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 12:52:23 pm »
You realize that, in essence, you're equating the "hardship" of having to hear someone announcing that they are gay to the actual hardships of being denied the right to marry, the right to name your next of kin, your social security beneficiary, etc... All told some 1200+ legal rights are denied to gays in the U.S., but we shouldn't talk about it on the radio for a couple days because it annoys some people to have to hear about it. Silence is the friend of the status quo because then the conservative can happily go about their day without being annoyed by others' suffering.

Supremecy

• Mohrrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 01:27:33 pm »
You realize that, in essence, you're equating the "hardship" of having to hear someone announcing that they are gay to the actual hardships of being denied the right to marry, the right to name your next of kin, your social security beneficiary, etc...

Sports talk radio.

I dont want to hear about financial subjects, i dont want to hear about Benghazi, i dont want to hear about the Syrian crisis.  I tune into SPORTS TALK radio to get away from the incessent blabber about all that junk.

Its really quite simple.