Please login or register. March 18, 2024, 11:55:40 PM

Author Topic: Constructive Criticism  (Read 14176 times)

the judo madonna

• Mohrrior
    • View Profile
Constructive Criticism
« on: January 02, 2013, 03:54:27 PM »
Out of the gate, there is a LOT to like about Mohr Sports. There is though, in my opinion, a few rough edges:

1.) The open feels a little clunky. Mohr's podcast open, The Jungle open, the Crab Feast open, when it hits, you know that IT IS ABOUT TO BE ON. I realize you can't get a lot of the podcast mashup-style stuff on corporate radio, but a mash of announcing calls repeated every hour is just a little jarring. Tighten up your kitchen, JJ! (the van halen still gets me pumped, glad that made it through)

The interviews are incredible. Frankly, i never gave a shit if Steve Smith was "a big fuel guy", or all those others hacky cliches. Jay talks to the guest like a real person, and gets stuff out of them that Rome never would. You could tell Toby Gerheart was expecting the boiler plate "athlete interview", and JJ threw him off, but it's way more interesting than "are you just wired that way?". I never thought i'd say this, but now I look forward to the interviews. Good shit.

2.) The pre-produced audio drops. I'm hoping this is just temporary, so the audience can learn the beats of the show, but the FOX sports guy is bad (i do like the birthday song though). I'm hoping once the show is more established, we won't have to be subjected to these. (The content  is fine, just the announcing of it.)

Nothing sounds scripted. No pregnant pauses listening to KB to whisper the next "zinger" to the host. This is probally the best aspect of JMS so far. Everything feels smooth and natural. Even if it's not, the execution is way better.

3.) The callers. I'm interested to see how this develops. I know JJ has said he doesn't wanna shame anybody, and I can get behind that, but sometimes you gotta put someone out of their misery. "Let me jump in here" is not a bad thing, when dude starts drifting towards Ryan Fitzpatrick when the discussion is about Ray Lewis.

That's enough outta me. If you're gonna weigh in, make sure you say a.) why you don't like something, and b.) how you would do it different.

That's how you be constructive and not a tard.

If this was the first game of a rookie QB, the pundits would already have him in the conversation for rookie of the year.

Sponsored Link
Guests: Sign up to hide banners

KidFlash25

• View Profile
Re: Constructive Criticism
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 04:10:46 PM »
Yeah, the Gerhart interview was pretty solid, and as I said on the other forum, just gonna have to get used to the Fox drops. Might not be a bad idea to go VH-only for the open, so that the listeners know that it's GO TIME. But I'm sure there's corporate (and wanting to make sure the podcast remains its own thing) to consider as well.

Overall, what I listened to was good.

Bob Booger Sugar

• It's not "show friends." It's show *business*.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:30:44 PM »
i thought the show was solid and look forward to tomorrow to see how he does. Its different guest hosting a day or 2 a week vs running it everyday. The fact that KB is there to help him will help a ton

the judo madonna

• Mohrrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:32:34 PM »
i thought the show was solid and look forward to tomorrow to see how he does. Its different guest hosting a day or 2 a week vs running it everyday. The fact that KB is there to help him will help a ton

KB isn't there. The whole XR4Ti went with Rome.

Steve in HTown

• Administrator
  • Mohrrior
  • #RedNation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 04:48:07 PM »

but T-Rodge is a pro and can guide Jay

Skullet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:54:57 PM »
Haven't listened to the first show yet, so I have no constructive criticism.

But if it was anything like when Jay guest hosted the JR show, it will be a great product. Most shows (radio & television) are rough at the very beginning. Jay will find what works for him and go with it. Once he does more shows and gets into a groove, it will get even better.

Good Luck jayjay

Just hope that jayjay never buys a race horse.  ;)

Faggithare

• Steve's my boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 04:56:54 PM »
Does he take e-mails or just tweets?

the judo madonna

• Mohrrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 05:10:43 PM »
no email address yet, i hope that changes. its easier to email from work than it is tweet.

if he buys a race horse, i guess we call him Hay Mohr?

Bob Booger Sugar

• It's not "show friends." It's show *business*.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »
I meant to say T-Rodge. Sorry

jakeinpeoria

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »
There are no pregnant pauses because he's an improv comic. You start your sentences without knowing where you're going. Rome likes being in control and knowing what he's going to say before he says it so every word can be crafted perfectly. 2 completely different styles.

Matt in Nashville

• Some Kind of Message Board Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »
I was hoping for some voices from Jay, which were almost non-existent.

Also, I wasn't really digging the five at five or the celebrity birthdays.  I don't care about celebs much.

More comedy, less yammering.  I'll be podcasting along with TRN...

Blake

• North American Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »
If he is still looking for his groove, I'm in. I think he does a good job and enjoy his humor. I'm big on energy and funny with my sports. I'll see how his interviews and interviewees go. If he can make them fun, I'll enjoy them more than other person's styles

Spanky in Tidewater

• Just a noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Don't even start
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 08:49:41 PM »
It was his first f*cking day people. Give him a break for a little while until he gets everything running on the same page.

Blake

• North American Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »
Yea, give him a break. Just post the things you liked about the show!

Spanky in Tidewater

• Just a noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Don't even start
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 09:19:09 PM »
I didn't mean it like that, you don't have to be a sunshine pumper or anything. But jesus christ yall are bitchin about some pretty minor stuff in here.