Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 08:26:54 am

Author Topic: Jeff Luhnow - Houston Astros GM  (Read 3219 times)

Steve in HTown

• Administrator
  • Mohrrior
  • #RedNation
    • View Profile
Jeff Luhnow - Houston Astros GM
« on: January 11, 2014, 03:11:39 pm »
I'm a lifelong Houstonian and Astros fan (hold your :lol's) so I was very interested in this podcast.  If you think the interview is Astros heavy, you're wrong.  He tells a great story about how he got into the business of baseball after having other successful careers.  I'm totally on board with the direction he took the Astros.  The farm system is swarming with young talent.  It hasn't been this strong since the late 80's.  I love the idea of building for the future instead of that crap they did last decade where they were always "1 player away" from being a playoff team so they would trade farm talent for someone like Aubrey Huff.

Great podcast.  Go listen.

https://twitter.com/jaymohr37/status/420188983465750530

Sponsored Link
Guests: Sign up to hide banners

DavidInAlief

• View Profile
Re: Jeff Luhnow - Houston Astros GM
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:52:54 pm »
I listened to it. It sounds all good and well, but I can't root for the Astros while that asshole swindler Crane is still the owner. He clearly doesn't care about winning and only about making a profit.

If Les Alexander buys the team from Crane then maybe I can be a fan again -- IF I can still get over them not being in the National League anymore.

BuryCats

• Global Moderator
  • Mohrrior
  • @BradHutchings on the Twitter
    • View Profile
Re: Jeff Luhnow - Houston Astros GM
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 09:47:48 pm »
Agree with Steve. This was an amazing interview. The main takeaway is: why spend $50M to be the worst team in MLB when you can do it for $18M, and invest in a future? I'm not so optimistic that other owners will be very tolerant of this rebuilding approach. Luhnow probably only gets to try it once.